Question
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/06

swelling

Hi shrink

maybe u can help me. Ive started swelling again!! my poor little foot aint so little any more and its BURNING!!

can you reccomend a good anti inflamitory for me as i dont want to see my doc cos hes going to try force that Biopsy on me!!

Buffs, if your doctor thinks a biopsy is needed, he probably has very good reasons for doing so, and it could be very unwise to ignore it. there are many reasons for a pain in a foot, including tumors, infections, circulation problems, neuritis, and arthritis. Treatment could probablym clear it up, but only the right treatment for the right cause. If you're bothered that they didn't do much on a previous occasion, discuss this with your doctor, and make sure they do something more useful this time. ONLY a biopsy can be really clear about what could be going wrong in the kidney, and thus give a proper chance to clear it up or at least to control it. And the consequences of ignoring some of the possible causes of these problems, can be serious and avoidable.
With all due respect, you seem to know what you need to do, and want to find a way to reassure yourself that you needn't do it. Depending on where you are, some of the Medical Schools and larger state hospitals have good facilties for biopsies, dialysis, etc., and you could be referred there if you can't afford to have this done privately. But I'm worried that you may be accumulating harm and damage, and we'd like to have you round for a long time to come !

17
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/06

Shaun i know what dyalsis is. as i mentioned ive read alot. but i cannot put myself onto dyalisis and right now i dont have the cash to go find another doctor willing to help me. so for now self medicating is what im doing and its working, this is the first time ive swollen in almost a year. and the swelling isnt even that bad, cant remember if it burned the last time tho so maybe its not even the same kind of swelling. right now i just need it to go away before the burning drives me insane!!! it would be better if there was pain cos then id know what to take but with anti inflams theres so many kinds... i do have sum diclofenic.. maybe i'll take one of those.

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/06

Buffs,

Dialysis is a procedure that you undergo where they kind-of relieve the extra work on your kidney & in a way levels out the chemical imbalances that is normal done by your kidneys...
It is very likely that the chemical overflow in your body may cause this swelling.
But don't rush to undertake self-medicating yourself. Lets see what CS has to suggest, though I feel he may direct you to the CyberDoc...

Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/06

I am on no medication. i was told i have "nephritis" but theres nothing they can do for me. that was the first doctor i saw. maybe the urologist is right and it is all in my head...

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/06

Hey Buffs,

I agree with Chelle, strongly. Another question, if you don't mind. Do you also go for dialysis?

Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/06

Seems to be something really serious and even though you have had a hard time getting this resolved, it is still more prudent to take this problem to the doctor.
You shouldn't continuously self medicate - you definitely need to get another opinion. It really sounds as though what you are going through can have long term effects if you don't get the right medical attention.
Delaying things can cause more damage, which in the end could cost you more than R2000 - it could cost you your quality of life, or even your life. I suggest you take this more seriously Buffs.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/06

I know all the answers to Questions that need to be asked. i read alot. it doesnt take a full day but u have to lie down for 3 days afterwards incase of bleeding. i have nither the time or money for this (its atleat R2000.00 ) and personally id rather keep my little bit of kidney and not spend that money. whatever i have will get better or worse in its own time. personally i think its getting better my foot isnt as swollen as the last time. last time the bottom was so swollen it went flat, everytime i walked i felt like my toes were going to pop.

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/06

Hey Buffs,

Then I would strongly suggest that you discuss the procedure that's gonna be undertaken fully with you doc, & seriously go for that biopsy. Also insist on him giving you a time-frame.
You might be surprised as the biopsy may not even take you a full day...

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/06

X Rays scans blood tests, a bladder scope tons of pills.

but not a biopsy

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/06

Hey Buffs,

Thanx for filling me in. I can now understand your hesitation. I would urge you to seriously consider the biopsy route though.
I do know that you can experience a range of difficulties with kidney problems though, but I haven't heard of any that weren't treatable as yet.
I suppose you must have also had x-rays done?

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: buffs | 2004/10/06

my whole long medical history should be here in the archives. i'll give you a short summery. had multiple kidney infections that i was in hospital for then started to swell was sent to a rheumatoligist cos they thought i had rheumatic fever or rheumatoid arthritis. she said it wasnt that sent me to a urologist who said that its all in my head. have seen 3 diffrent doctors. was told to go to a nephrologist but after being passed around so much decided to give him a call b4 i went, he said he wanted to do a biopsy on me i refuse and now i self medicate unless my arm is hanging off

Reply to buffs
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/06

Hey Buffs,

If he just uses anti-inflamatries then something must be causing that foot/area to become inflamed. Usually it is identifiable.
Are you sure it may not be time for you to seek a second opinion? Have you been referred to any specialist?
I would think this is quite serious & you really need to consider alternative avenues for appropriate treatment.

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/06

I have been hospitalised many times for this but nothing helps. i did however spek to my doctor as my foot is going blue! was worried it might be cutting off the circulation. he just told me what he usually does to take anti inflamatries!
which i can just do by myself without going to see him

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Shaun | 2004/10/06

Hi Buffs,

As uncomfortable as it maybe, is it not maybe much safer to have it checked out once & for all?
I understand that a biopsy is done to extract a specimen so that it can be sent to a laboratory so it can be properly scrutinised & you would most probably get a fairly accurate diagnosis. Have you discussed with your doc the procedure for your biopsy. like what will be done & stuff? You have all the right to ask.

I would urge you to keep that appointment with your doc & thoroughly discuss all procedures & options. I may be wrong here, but I think you also have the choice of being hospitalised or home/self-cared...

Regards,
Shaun

Reply to Shaun
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/06

to be totally honest its not painful. just uncomfortable. the burning comes and goes ijn waves! not very pleasent though

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/06

Sounds terribly painful!!. Maybe they will try something different this time seeing as it didn't seem to solve the problem.

Reply to Chelle
Posted by: Buffs | 2004/10/06

thanks chelle but when they put me in the hospital for this the last few times they just gave me cortisone and ice and its burning SO badly. i feel like sumone threw lighter fluid on my foot and flicked a burning match at me!!

Reply to Buffs
Posted by: Chelle | 2004/10/06

Sorry about your foot, but go see your doc. If he wants to do the biopsy then I am sure he has reason to do it. Maybe an anti inflammatory isn't what you need either.
Hope the burning stops soon.

Reply to Chelle