Question
Posted by: sweety | 2007/12/05

sweets

Hi. I just cant stop eating sweets or anything sweet. I sometimes just eat teaspoons of sugar. It seems like once I start, then I cant stop. What should I do?

Dear Sweety
Eating lots of sweets and sugar every day is not a good idea as this will increase your energy intake considerably and can lead to overweight and possibly diabetes and tooth decay. I can only suggest that you slowly reduce your intake - don't do it all at once. Cravings for carbohydrates (bread, sweets and chocolate) can indicate a lack of serotonin in the brain and by eating these foods you boost the serotonin levels. The brain serotonin levels affect one's mood and a lack of serotonin can make one feel depressed and down. If you reduce your sweets and sugar intake by one or two pieces a day for a few days and then reduce it again and so on until you have either cut it out altogether or reduced your intake to a normal level of 1-2 sweets a day, then you should be able to kick this habit. However, make sure that you are eating sufficient carbohydrates to compensate for the serotonin boost that you are at present getting from the sweets. Eat carbs with a low-fat, high-fibre and low-GI at every meal. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.
Good luck with getting out of the sweety trap.