Question
Posted by: Sugar | 2008/05/21

Sweetened drinks for toddlers?

I have a toddler of 16months. We moved her to a different daycare centre, and at the new centre, they get Sweeto cooldrink to drink throughout the day. I am not happy about this because I know artificial sweeteners aren't really good for you. So I do not know if it is suitable to give to little kids. Although I do understand why they don't want to give the kids extra sugar through sugary drinks. At home we give her water (although she doesn't like to drink plain water) or fruit juice diluted with 50% water.

Should I let her drink the sweeto or should I rather pack her some diluted fruit juice?

Dear Sugar
It is better for toddlers to drink plain, clean water. They can also have small quantities of fruit juice, but not all day long, because fruit juice used in too great a quantity can also lead to overweight, tooth decay and dilution of the diet. I think you will have to talk to the owner of the daycare centre and recommend that they change their policy to serving clean water to the children instead of the cold drink. They can boil tap water, let it cool and serve it directly to the children.