Question
Posted by: Maggie | 2003/02/22

Sweet cravings

For more than a year now I have had this craving for sweet stuff only. Not all sweet stuff, but selected ones. It started off with a certain type of chocolate, then changed to pancakes (12 per day with cinnamon sugar). At the moment I crave Lactogen Baby formula and eat a 1 kg tin every 4 days. Needless to say I am never hungry for any proper food and only eat because the rest of my family eats and I have to cook their meals anyway.I have been advised in the past to increase my carbohydates but how do I do that if I dont have any kind of appetite for such foods. I'm a 38 year old female, 1.72 m tall and weigh 71 kg.

Maggie, sometimes a sugar craving is a sign of early diabetes, so I think the best would be to have a glucose tolerance test and insulin levels done. If it shows up normal (or abnormal, for that matter), the best would be to see specialist physician and have it sorted out. Good luck.