Question
Posted by: cv | 2007/03/08

sweating only one side head & face

Get alot of headaches on one side (right) - and everytime I eat something I start sweating. But only in my face and only right side. Its like sweat drops rolling off my face at the one side. And like I said get alot of headaches as well - one side. Oya and my right eye is alot smaller then the other one asspecially when I am tired. Do I have to go and see someone...?? Not that I worry to much its just sometimes getting imbarresed when I eat with company.

Expert ImageHeadache expert

Dear CV,

Of course you have to see somebody. There is always a reason for the kind of symptoms you describe, so why leave it. With regard to the headaches, there is no need for you to have a lot of headaches if you have the correct treatment.

Anyone suffering from symptoms such as yours must have a proper medical assessment, which should include a neurological examination. The reason for this is to make absolutely certain that there is not some serious or life threatening underlying medical condition causing the headaches. Although this is uncommon, it is essential to exclude this possibility before doing anything else.

Once this has been done, then the next part of the investigation is started. The correct way to deal with the problem is to have a proper diagnosis of the underlying causes of the headache. If these are treated, the headaches no longer occur, and it is no longer necessary to rely on potentially harmful “rescue” medication.

To get to the root of the problem, you need what is called a “multidisciplinary” assessment. There are many different structures in the head and neck, all of which can be involved in the headache process, and no single specialist can have all the knowledge necessary to make a comprehensive assessment and diagnosis. For this reason, the combined the expertise of different specialists who would normally treat headache patients in isolation, are co-ordinated into a single more comprehensive body of knowledge. This enables a more comprehensive treatment plan, in which all the contributing factors are addressed. This assessment must include examination to determine the presence of tension in the head and neck muscles.

Headache sufferers often have a poor Quality of Life due to the constant pain and associated symptoms. For a free assessment of how your headaches are affecting your Quality of Life, click on http://www.headacheclinic.co.za/

This information has been supplied and checked by the multidisciplinary team of specialists at The Headache Clinic, in association with The International Headache Society and the South African Institute of Headache and Migraine Science. For consultation with these specialists, call The Headache Clinic on 0861 678 911 (Johannesburg, Cape Town, Durban).