Question
Posted by: phil | 2005/12/03

sweating

At gym i jog anywhere between 45 min and 70 min.Iuse a heart rate monitor.according to my heart rate monitor one of my sessions for 56 min i burnt 929kcal, 20% fat, max heart rate 181 98%, avg heart rate 169 at 91% most of my sessions are like that and my t shirt is completely soaked.I am 35 weight 88kg.Am i overdoing it i excercise 4 to 7 days a week.

Hi Phil

Your sweating rate is a fairly poor indicator of how hard you are exercising (for that matter, heart rate can be dodgy too, but more on that later). The thing about sweating is that you only notice that you are sweating when it is dripping off you. Any time you exercise, you sweat, but the key is that if the sweat can evaporate faster than it forms (or at the same rate), then you don't ever really notice that you are sweating profusely. If however you don't evaporate it, it stays on the surface, runs and drips off and you end up soaked. So, the question is what changes the evaporation of sweat? And the answer is that when you exercise indoors and without wind, you sweat a huge amount but it just can't evaporate. If you took your session of running and did exactly the same thing outdoors, you would likely not see the same volume of sweat, because you can evaporate it. So my point is that sweating volume is telling you more about the environment you are in than the exercise you are doing, up to a point.

As for heart rate, it's great to use as a guide, but I would not suggest taking the number too seriously. You have to work within the limits of what the heart rate is telling you. Therefore, over a long period of time, if your heart rate during a session is lower than usual, you are getting fitter. If it is suddenly higher than usual, then you might be in for a cold or overtraining. But the key is to not get stuck on the size of the number and assume that because it's 60% of your MAX heart rate it's wrong. REmember, everyone is different so to assume that your max heart rate fits that equation is a big assumption. It may not, and so look at your heart rate within your own training sessions, and not across different people.