Question
Posted by: Chantel | 2004/11/10

sweating

I have a problem that I sweat a lot and it do get embaracing when I see the wet patches under my arm. I overall I do sweat a lot. My feet also do and then it stinks and I am always ebarace to take my shoes off. please advice what to use

Chantel, it sounds like you might suffer from hyperhidrosis – excessive perspiration due to overactivity of the sweat glands. Hyperhidrosis may be a contributory factor in various skin diseases (fungal or pyogenic infections; contact dermatitis). Generalized hyperhidrosis frequently accompanies fever. An endocrine dysfunction (eg, hyperthyroidism) or, occasionally, a CNS disorder may also cause generalized sweating. Localized hyperhidrosis usually occurs in otherwise healthy persons. It usually is confined to the palms, soles, axillae, inframammary regions, or groin. Excessive sweating of the palms and soles may be psychogenic.
In hyperhidrosis, the skin in affected areas is often pink or bluish white. In severe cases, the skin, especially on the feet, may be macerated,fissured, and scaling.
Treatment
For generalized hyperhidrosis, the underlying systemic disease must be treated, yet the hyperhidrosis may be refractory. Systemic anticholinergic drugs have only a temporary effect, and side effects (eg, dry mouth, blurred vision, difficulty with urination) are problematic. For localized hyperhidrosis, a 20 to 25% solution of aluminium chloride hexahydrate in absolute ethyl alcohol applied at night to the dried axillae, palms, or soles and covered tightly with a thin polyethylene film is usually effective. In the morning, the polyethylene film is removed and the area is washed free of salt. Two applications usually protect the area for 1 wk. If the aluminum chloride under occlusion is irritating, it should be tried without occlusion. This solution should not be applied to inflamed, broken, wet, or recently shaved skin. In some patients, tap-water iontophoresis may be effective. A 5% solution of methenamine (available in some countries) in water may also be effective. Topical solutions containing glutaraldehyde or formaldehyde may be effective but can be irritating. If the anhydrous aluminium chloride treatment fails, extreme axillary hyperhidrosis may be relieved by surgically excising the concentrated group of glands in the axillary vault or injecting the area with Botox®. An operation called a sympathectomy can also be done where the nerve supply to the offending glands is cut off and keeps them from secreting any sweat. This operation is not possible for excessive sweating of the head. Let me know if you have more questions. Good luck.

1
Posted by: K | 2004/11/10

Hi Chantel,

I have a very similar problem only that mine is worse as it is my hands and my feet that sweat a lot. I know how embaressing it is and how it limits a person to do normal activities you would love to do.
Anyway, my advice is that besides medical operations to cure this, there are a few products which you can get from the chemist or doctor. One which i have tried and can recommend is : "Dryclor".
You just follow instructions on the bottle and apply it to the affected areas.
Hope it helps.
K

Reply to K