Question
Posted by: John | 2007/06/18

Sweat smells like Vinegar

Good Day
Can you please advise me if a person perspiriation's smell can indicate a greater illness.
My wife will go to bed feeling very cold, but by the middle of the night is perspiring greatly, which seems to give off a strong vinegar smell. By the morning she is cold again. It does not seem to be a fever as she does not shiver or exibit this cold hot cold situations during the day. She has also only started perspiring in this manner during the past 2 weeks. Is this something I should worry about?
John

Dear John
It will be better for her to see your GP. Excessive sweating can be a sign of certain infections like TB or malaria, diabetes, low blood sugar, menopause or thyroid problems. An unusual smell can be a sign of diabetes or kidney or liver disease. Certain medications like Aspirin, panado, thyroid medications, psychiatric medications can cause excessive sweating.