Question
Posted by: Liz | 2004/11/16

Sweat and treadmill

I started gim in April, lost 16 kg and feeling great. Doing treadmill most of the time - 3 to 6 km per day (jog and walk) - 5 days per week. Still need to lose about 10 kg's. Problem - i sweat extreamly. After my workout, it looks like if been in a shower. Why??

HI Liz

It's great to hear that you have achieved these results, it's good that someone can back up that exercise is the way forward.

As for the sweating, there are a couple of things. Remember that everyone sweats, and you have to sweat, because this is the only way you can lose heat. If you didn't sweat you would burn up. The problem is the humidity. Sweat can either evaporate off the skin (which is good, because this is the process by which the heat is lost - as sweat evaporates, it takes heat with it), or it can drip off. When the humidity is very high, which is probably the case, especially because you are indoors, the sweat cannot evaporate - it has no where to go and it drips off. So, you might actually be sweating exactly the same amount now as you used to, but maybe it's more humid now and so it drips off rather than evaporating. That's one possibility. The other is that it is a lot warmer now than a few months back and so you have to sweat more to lose heat because you gain more heat when exercising.

Finally, as someone pointed out, with training comes an increase in the capacity to sweat - you are better able to 'recruit' sweat glands. The body has a set number, but with training, you are able to activate more of these glands, and so yes, fitter people tend to sweat more than when they were unfit. So, keep up your good work, the sweating is part of the deal, you can't change it much, so you just have to become accustomed to it (which happens anyway, because remember you will be more efficient and generate less heat and so over time, you will actually produce less heat and therefore sweat less)

5
Posted by: Jackie | 2004/11/18

This is great news! Liz, I have the exact same problem as you do with the sweating and I always thought that there was something drastically wrong with me. Glad to know that sweating at the gym 5-7 days a week means that I am actually healthy.

Reply to Jackie
Posted by: Liz | 2004/11/17

Hi Bibi
Thanks, I do feel much better. Only main changes in my diet was not to mix my protien and starch. I believe my weightloss was mainly the treadmill, as I was'nt doing any exercising the last 10 years. As my weight was'nt moving for 2 weeks, I asked for advice at the gim, and was told to do the following on the treadmill. For 1 min only, walk on 5, then on 6 and move one up every min until you get to 11(by that time you'll be running fast). Then go back to 5 and repeat a few times. It's wonderfull, and before you know it, you'll be on 5 km - and WHALLA - down came the 1kg. Try it, itworks!

Reply to Liz
Posted by: DR | 2004/11/17

Hi Liz,

Unfortunately I won't be ably to give you an answer but I have heard that the fitter your are the more you sweat (Sure feels like it!! I'm also sweating a lot more than what I used to) Let's hope FitnessDoc can give us some kind of explaination...

Reply to DR
Posted by: Thandos | 2004/11/17

I run 1.5 km on the treadmill 4 times a day. Is it good or bad pls advise.

Reply to Thandos
Posted by: bibi | 2004/11/17

Did you have to change you diet to loose the weight or is it just from the jogging? you really inspire me, i admire you. I also started jogging and fast walking for 3km 30 minutes 5 days a week, it feels good and i was wondering whether i would loose any weight but you have just proved it. Now do i really have to eat very very healthy, pl give me an example of your eating plan for 1 day so that i can get an idea how you manged to achieve this, WELL DONE! pls reply, patiently waiting

Reply to bibi