Question
Posted by: Nolz | 2003/12/16

Sweat

I have a problem. Sweat alot under my arm pits. Always have sweat patches on my shirts. Is there anyway I can stop it? What can I do or take?

Nolz, it sounds like you might be suffering of hyperhidrosis. Hyperhidrosis is excessive perspiration due to overactivity of the sweat glands. Localized hyperhidrosis usually occurs in otherwise healthy persons. It usually is confined to the palms, soles, axillae, inframammary regions, or groin. Excessive sweating of the palms and soles may be psychogenic.
In hyperhidrosis, the skin in affected areas is often pink or bluish white. In severe cases, the skin, especially on the feet, may be macerated, fissured, and scaling.
Treatment
For generalized hyperhidrosis, the underlying systemic disease must be treated, yet the hyperhidrosis may be refractory. Systemic anticholinergic drugs have only a temporary effect, and side effects (e.g., dry mouth, blurred vision, difficulty with urination) are problematic. For localized hyperhidrosis, a 20 to 25% solution of aluminium chloride hexahydrate in absolute ethyl alcohol applied at night to the dried axillae, palms, or soles and covered tightly with a thin polyethylene film is usually effective. In the morning, the polyethylene film is removed and the area is washed free of salt. Two applications usually protect the area for 1 wk. If the aluminium chloride under occlusion is irritating, it should be tried without occlusion. This solution should not be applied to inflamed, broken, wet, or recently shaved skin. In some patients, tap-water iontophoresis may be effective. A 5% solution of methenamine (available in some countries) in water may also be effective. Topical solutions containing glutaraldehyde or formaldehyde may be effective but can be irritating. If the anhydrous aluminium chloride treatment fails, extreme axillary hyperhidrosis may be relieved by surgically excising the concentrated group of glands in the axillary vault or injecting the area with Botox®. An operation called a sympathectomy can also be done where the nerve supply to the offending glands is cut off and keeps them from secreting any sweat. This operation is not possible for excessive sweating of the head. Good luck.

1
Posted by: Nolz | 2003/12/16

Some other things. I am fit and my height is normal. So I dont think its a health issue.
I am also not stressed. I think its more a biological problem.

Reply to Nolz