Posted by: marlene | 2008/07/25

swart kringe om oe

help help. ek het verskriklik lelike swart kring om my oe. wat kan ek gebruik.

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Marlene, thank you for the question and my apologies for answering you in English. Your best approach would be to consult an aesthetic medical practitioner or cosmetic dermatologist who can examine the areas of concern and recommend the appropriate treatment choice.

There are two possibilities (alone or in combination) for the dark circles that you have noticed:

Firstly, a groove below the lower eyelid develops (tear trough) as a result of a small pocket of fat that ‘drops’ allowing for what is known as the shadow effect and for the skin to lie closer to a venous plexus (collection of veins) increasing the darkness noted.
Secondly, hemoglobin (pigment of red blood cells) may ‘leak’ out of the venous plexus and sit in the skin increasing the darkness noted.

Other possible causes are diet, lack of exercise, smoking, or pigmentation.

My approach for the first two causes listed would be to use a filler (Restylane, Juvederm 24, or fat) in the infra-orbital area, as this would lift the skin out of the groove and away from the venous plexus. This will have the added benefit of removing the tired look and giving the eye area a youthful and refreshed appearance. In some cases this may be enough to treat and correct the problem completely, but, if there is also hemoglobin one needs to use a topical product to allow the breakdown of this pigment (hemoglobin) – Cernor XO. One should always remember to use a good SPF and eye cream to maintain the areas treated.