Question
Posted by: swallowing vitamins in cellulose capsule | 2007/04/01

swallowing vitamins in cellulose capsule

I need to take vitamin supplements that are contained in cellulose capsules.
I have a problem swallowing the capsules with just water.
Are there other ways to take the capsules without compromising their content/ effect?
Is opening the capsule and mixing it into fruit juice an option?

Dear Reader
I think you should try to swallow the whole capsules either with plenty of water or with fruit juice because some vitamin formulations are designed to be absorbed in different parts of the digestive system (this is probably why they have a gelatine coating). Only if you find this impossible should you open the capsules and very rapidly drink them with fruit juice. The problem is also that opening the capsules may expose some of the nutrients to oxidation by the oxygen in the air and thus reduce their potency.
Hope you manage to swallow them whole.