Question
Posted by: swallowing vitamins in cellulose capsule | 2007/04/01

swallowing vitamins in cellulose capsule

I need to take vitamin supplements that are contained in cellulose capsules.
I have a problem swallowing the capsules with just water.
Are there other ways to take the capsules without compromising their content/ effect?
Is opening the capsule and mixing it into fruit juice an option?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

I do not understand why you have to take the supplements in cellulose capsules – is it because you want to prevent the stomach acid affecting the content? And do you battle to swallow the capsules or is it that you battle because you swallow the contents with water which tastes bad?

You can mix the content of the capsules with fruit juice as it will not affect it any more than when you swallow a capsule and the capsule dissolves in the stomach and releases its content there. There is no other way of taking vitamins to bypass this effect unless intra venously– best it to take it with food to increase the absorption rate. Only when you ingest enteric coated capsules will the content stay intact until it reaches the intestines to be released there. I know that sometimes they coat the vitamins with layers to ensure slow release which will also slow the release thereof in the stomach area. Note that some vitamins like vit C prefers an acid medium like the stomach to increase absorption.
If difficult swallowing is the problem there are vitamins in sachet forms available in the market – please ask your pharmacist to recommend the best versions.

Good luck I hope you find the best suitable option.
Vanessa