Question
Posted by: Wondering | 2008/06/17

Swallowing semen dangerous?

Hi Expert

Sorry if this is not a nice question to ask, but who else do I ask ...

Recently a guy performed oral sex on me, and he also swallowed my semen.

I am STI/STD and HIV free. I just wanted to know if there is any risks associated in him swallowing my semen, that is for him now of course, apart from the risks of contracting a STI/STD/HIV?

Is there any chance I could get infected with anything by him performing oral sex on me?

I would appreciate your views on this.

Thank you.

Expert ImageGay, lesbian and bisexual expert

Hi Wondering and thanks for posting.... I particularly welcome questions related to safer sex.

There is no risk in swallowing semen, provided of course that the "donor" is HIV negative. Semen is quickly digested once it gets to the stomach but there's a possible risk of infection if the person swallowing the semen has a throat infection or a lesion in their oesophagus through which the virus could enter their bloodstream.

Note that someone can have an STI (such as syphilis or gonorrhea) in his throat - he could pass that STI on to you if he performs oral sex on you.

Unless you know your partner is HIV negative it is advisable to avoid taking semen in your mouth, particularly if you have any small sores, cuts or blisters in or around your mouth. Of course, the follow-up question needs to be how could you really KNOW your partner's HIV status, especially when he may not really KNOW his own status?

Please post again if this is confusing.