Question
Posted by: Star | 2004/11/12

Swallowing Pills

I have a problem swallowing pills. Its even worse with capsules. I panick and become terrified of swallowing that sometimes I have to spit it out and take a new one. What can I do - I will be taking anti-biotics for 3 months.

Star, have you always had this problem? How old are you and what is the neame of the antibiotic you will be taking? Let me know as a new question and we’ll take it from there. Good luck.

2
Posted by: Star | 2004/11/15

Thank for your suggestion - I will try it.

Reply to Star
Posted by: Hope this helps! | 2004/11/14

If your fear is because of the taste:
I've found the easiest way is to take a mouthful of water, tilt your head all the way back (that you're looking at the ceiling), open your mouth and drop the tablet in. As SOON as you hear it go "plop" - swallow all the water in one go. Doing it this way means that the tablet doesn't have time to touch any part of your mouth, and you don't get the bitter taste.
My boyfriend is also "tablet-phobic", but now manages okay, doing it this way.
I guess you could also practice with peas (??) and water... :)
Good luck!

Reply to Hope this helps!