Question
Posted by: Louise | 2002/12/10

Suspected Urticaria (hives)

I suspect that I may have Urticaria. I developed a rash on my stomach about 7 days ago. The actual spots statred out quite small (about 4mm in diameter) with a slight blister in the centre, they have since become more spread out incertain places. I did seek madical advice but the doctor did not know what the rash was and sent me away with a cortizone cream ( which has not helped). The rash has since spread over my back, neck, and chest area, and is working it's way down my legs and arms. On my chest and neck the rash is very itchy and is also itchy on other areas. Does this sound like hives? I live in Doha, Qatar and am not always sure that I will get a correct diagnosis, though I intend to revisist the doctor. I can't tink of anything new that I ate although I did have some nuts last week but I have never had a reaction to them. I would be grateful for you opinion as I an unsure how I should proceed.

Louise, I can’t say for sure what it is without being able to examine you, but I have to agree that it doesn’t sound like urticaria. From this side of the screen it sounds more like an infection or even a form of eczema, but not like urticaria. The best would be to get a second opinion from a different doctor. Good luck.