Question
Posted by: Dancer | 2007/11/27

Surviving a neuro - aorta back operation

Dear Doc

My best friend in the world, my mother has been diagnosed with having a few pinched nerves as well as an aorta pinched in her spine (she is 67 years of age). This might sound very trivial at first, but if it happens to an extremely generous and loved family member, it gets really close to the heart (especially witnessing all the pain she has been through the last few years). Is there a name for this condition and what steps is the normal procedure going forward. What can we do to ensure that she is as comfortable and positive as much as possible? What is the consequences ans risks involved should an operation be considered by a neuro surgeon?

Dear Dancer
Pinched nerves are usually only operated on if they can't be managed by physiotherapy and is causing loss of muscle function or severe pain. I am not sure what you mean by aorta being pinced in her spine - this is not possible - what she may have is a narrowing of the aorta and depending on how bad it affects her blood circulation may or may not need an operation - they usually put a "stent" or plastic tube in to keep the artery open.

See this article for information about the back operation: http://www.webmd.com/back-pain/discectomy-or-microdiscectomy-for-a-herniated-disc

She needs to see an orthopedic surgeon/ neurosurgeon for evaluation of her back and a vascular surgeon for an evaluation of the aorta problem. Depending on their findings, you need to discuss with them all the different options she has to alleviate the pain.

Hope this helps?