Question
Posted by: Disappointed | 2004/01/08

Surpised by Health24's action.

Dear Health24
Just felt compelled to respond to something for which you were probably anticipating a response anyway.
It is with much sadness regret that I observe the removal of postings sent between 19/12/2003 and 5/1/2004. Granted, you did inform the readers that the time between those dates were to be considered a break for the experts – something to which I’m sure we had all agreed was necessary, justified and indeed well-earned, considering the excellent quality of service and all of it for absolutely free – and for which I thank you sincerely on behalf of all users of this forum.
The system however had not been disabled and since some readers (of this now extremely popular and highly respected CyberShrink) forum had not experienced an abatement in their personal problems during this same period, and, driven mostly by desperation, still turned to this site in search help albeit only from other readers.
There were indeed some good postings with advice and support from loyal, well-meaning readers, which admittedly were not quite as good as the real thing, but indeed still served to be somewhat of a consolation in the absence of the CyberShrink.

To delete and simply discard the desperate and legitimate efforts to call for help together with the fine attempts made to assist these people, is in my humble opinion, a cold and callous move quite unbefitting to this forum.
(Please do not be tempted to bite my head off since I am really only trying to be constructive. Bear in mind that there may also be others who share my sentiments.)

Dear Disappointed,
I'll leave it to Health 24 editorial folks to respond directly to your comments, which I understand ; constructive comments are always welcome. I'm pleased to hear that you and others appreciate and find this service useful, and hope we can keep it that way in the coming years ! And that we can maintain our substantial group of regulars who are thoughtful, sympathetic and almost unfailingly helpful

6
Posted by: Zeena | 2004/01/09

I was not aware that Health24 actually had actually deleted messages already posted. BUT THEN I wonder: if they let the messages stay on the forum, would that mean the Shrink would have come back to dozens and dozens of posts to answer? It's a dilemma.

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: Disappointed | 2004/01/09

Hi Zeena
I'm not fighting with anyone. Your statements are an echo of mine.
It’s just that I didn't feel that is was polite to wipe out the postings from desperate people almost as though they had never existed at all. This includes your replies which are always so well written, thought provoking, encouraging and extremely enlightening. Clearly you are highly intelligent, very experienced and a great asset to the forum (obviously also to your own family to whom you must be worth more than your weight in gold).
Health24 has faltered.
To them, unlike the less fortunate callers, this appears not to be much of an issue at all.
Oh well, if we cannot rectify the mistake, then let us at least learn from it.

To Captured Angel and Paul, I say thank you for your compassion, wisdom, and far-sightedness. You too are of great value to all of us, including the Doc and Health24.

A pleasant New Year to Captured Angel, Zeena and Paul.
We are fortunate to have people like you in this world.

Reply to Disappointed
Posted by: Captured Angel | 2004/01/09

Zeena, I think you missed the plot a little. Disappointed was not bemoaning the fact that the service was closed or that cybershrink took time off.

The concern is that people posted during that time and the postings have since been deleted. There were some serious postings and some people put a lot of effort into their posts. It's possible that disappointed was one such person.

Reply to Captured Angel
Posted by: Zeena | 2004/01/08

Whoah there, Disappointed!! While it is true that depression and despair reach great heights over the festive season, please consider the following:

**These forums are FOR FREE. The guys and girls who try to answer the questions are professionals with private practices, and also with wives and families, one assumes. So, regardless of the fact that many people might have needed advice in that period, just tell me: when must these professionals get a break?? Did YOU work without a holiday for 365 days last year?

** Many questions DID get through. Soms of us who look in on this page tried to help and answer. However, as you rightly said, we can't take the place of the Shrink.

** But NEVER FORGET that you get a free service here, which would otherwise be very costly. Unfortunately even those with serious problems just have to take into account that the Shrink cannot be on call every day of the year.

Reply to Zeena
Posted by: Spooky | 2004/01/08

Not having removed the postings between those dates may perhaps have made the Doc and Health24 feel obligated to respond to them.
What then would have been the point of taking a break if it meant coming back to an accumulated backlog for which there would now have to be worked many times longer and harder? I don’t think anyone would enjoy such break.

Another case in point may be that, unlike the Doc who knows better than to make other's problems his own, us reader-do-gooders are perhaps not all that skilled in controlling the inclination to put ourselves right in the problem-person's shoes, hence becoming far too emotionally involved (myself being culprit no.1), and thus misinterpreting the action of health24 as harsh and unbecoming.

Have we been spoilt? Do we expect to have it all to ourselves, all the time? Are we always reasonable and fair?

Is it justifiable to force or break into a shop after closing time?
Surely not - it's downright criminal.

Reply to Spooky
Posted by: Paul | 2004/01/08

I dont want to say too much as I don't have time to investigate this allegation, should it however be true I think that was nasty to remove it.

Reply to Paul