Question
Posted by: leapfrog4u | 2007/04/01

Surgery scheduled, could it be canceled?

I have surgery to remove my gallbladder scheduled for this coming Wednesday, however, on Friday my throat was killing me, and I started to cough up little bits of blood and tissue. I went to Immediate Care on Saturday, and they said I have an upper respiratory infection, sinus infection, and pharyngitis. I was put on the Z-Pack (which the last day is supposed to be the day I have my surgery). Is this going to affect my surgery? I am really nervous that it will, but I have been having problems with my gallbladder ever since September of 2006, and they just found out what it was, through the HIDA scan (my EF was 9.5%) a couple of weeks ago. If it could affect the date of surgery, is there anything I can possibly do to keep the surgery date the same? I really want to get out of pain, and I am afraid that it won't happen until after the surgery. I am only 20 years old, and a college student. Thanks!!

Dear leapfrog4u
You have to see your GP the day before to see if you are fit for anaesthetic - you don't want to end up with pneumonia! And please tell the anaesthetist about this and that you were on antibiotics - he needs to be extra careful with the anaesthetic.