Question
Posted by: Kathy | 2004/01/28

Sureslim and Excersize

I am currently doing the Sureslim Quick Loss programme as I need to lose about 7 kg. This is low carbs, salad and veggies, chicken, eggs, low fat red meat and fish. (I am not a member of Sureslim any more and am doing it on my own now). At the same time I need to get fit again and am doing your "get fit, run 10km" programme (running 3 x a week for about 30 min per session) and resistance training 2 x a week for about 50 min per session. I feel quite tired all the time and have no energy but want to lose my 7kg soonest. What do you suggest?

Dear Kathy
Because carbs are the body's best source of energy, any diet which excludes carbs or is too low in total energy, will make you feel tired and weak if you exercise intensively. Try eating some unprocessed or unsifted carbs such as unsifted maize meal, Maltabella, or oats for breakfast and pasta made with 100% Durum wheat or potatoes baked in their jackets or brown rice with your main meals - these foods contain practically no fat and will not increase your energy intake appreciably, but they will provide some instant energy for the exercise. It is also always a good idea to use an energy drink (Powerade, Energade, Lucozade, etc) just before, during and immediately after exercise to boost your energy levels.
Take care