Question
Posted by: Debby | 2007/04/04

Suppositories vs Oral Pain killers

My local GP suspects that I might have cysts or even Endometriosis, as in our area it takes about two months to see a gynae - she perscribed a Voltarin suppository for me to help me handle the pain till my gynae appointment. This may sound like a silly question, but why is a suppository better than an orally taken pill?

Thanks for your time...

Dear Debby
It does not irritate your stomach so much and it gets absorbed much quicker - almost as quick as an injection - giving relief faster.

2
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/07/03

I am trying to understand: surely a suppository will be eliminated far quicker (due to the location) than than an oral medication? Why would it be absorbed more quickly into the system? If I take Voltaren (for example) orally it does not irritate my stomach at all..

Posted by: anxious | 2007/04/04

It will work more quickly as it is absorbed more quickly into your system. Voltaren suppositories are very effective for pain relief. Where do you live?! Do you have to travel far to go to your gynae?

Hope you dont suffer too much before you get your problems sorted out!

Reply to anxious