Question
Posted by: Lonestar | 2006/04/06

Support groups

Hi all,

Well seeing that we're on this topic I want to share something with you all. A few years ago, after being diagnosed with Bipolar I was having a really difficult time accepting this and a friend at work suggested that I join a BP support group and hooked me up with one of her best friends who at that time was the "leader" of the "pack" . So I phoned and made an appointment to chat to her after work. (couldn't afford to go see a shrink as the medical aid did not pay for it)

And there I was after work, middle of the week just to "chat" to someone and feel that I "belong" somewhere. Very friendly lady, but boy oh boy what a turn of events. I did not get in much verbally as she then ranted and raved about her feelings and how many times she was in hospital, tried to commit suicide and the rest that goes with that.

Next moment she invites me over to her study and true as God picked up the phone and dialed her shrink...wait the best is yet to come. She then started discussing my situation with her shrink and kept on telling me how great this shrink is. At one stage I got the impression that she was flirting with this guy big time (whilst her hubby is at home). Come to think about it, which shrink will actually talk to a patient for half an hour regarding a total strangers problem??

Needless to say that she has never ever seen me again...en ek het gedink ek het die skoot hoog deur...

Thinking back I can't help but to only laugh at the whole situation, so guys and girls, you won't get me to a support group ever ever again.

You guys and girls on the forum is great and very helpful and thats it.

Greetings
LS.

Hi Lonestar,
Eish ! Interesting experience LS ! Not so much a support group more like a monologue and a rant ! yes, sounds like an odd shrink there, too. I think there has to be more than 2 or 3 people present for anything to qualify as a support group ! Something of an exibitionist, there, perhaps. Also, I like Chelle's concept of this woman acting as a pimp. HMmm

3
Posted by: Clueless. | 2006/04/06

You just reminded me of something I once did. I ran away from home (16), and this dude took me in. I spend the night at his place, a tiny little flat in the heart of Jo'burg. It was his and his whole biological family, all their children, spouses, and all THEIR relatives. Never saw anything like that. It was packed. 7 of them gave up their place, and gave me a bed.
Anyway, the next day this dude took me to his friend. Once there, he cleared out. I thought what the -|- ? Suddenly this woman became 'an apostel sent from god to cleanse me of all my demons.' She went on like a person possessed. She threw stuff around and used jesus' name quite regularly. Once 'done', she insisted I'm now a newborn christian and loving it.

Reply to Clueless.
Posted by: Liza | 2006/04/06

Don't have a high opinion of support groups either. Was in one that my shrink started - and he used us all as guinea pigs to get his doctorate! Left after 2 sessions where he wanted to 'induce' panick attacks in us. I'm not THAT nuts! ;)

Reply to Liza
Posted by: Chelle | 2006/04/06

LS, it sounds as though this woman was a "pimp" for the shrink :o)

Glad to see you're feeling better these days.

Reply to Chelle