Question
Posted by: Last-hope | 2007/05/14

Support Giver ... giving up

I am a male of 41 years old married for two years with with three children, two 14 years olds and a 3 year old. My wife has been diagnosed with OCD after eventually agreeing to see a doctor. She suffers from mood swings, violent tempers, depression and is an alcoholic. She refuses to take her medication as prescribed by the doctor, she refuses to come to bed with me as she has put on weight and feels ugly and constantly looks for fights so she can use that as an excuse to start drinking ( so she can calm down ) ... it is destroying her children from a previous marriage and also hurting our 2 year old. She does not have to work as I support the whole family, but she stays awake all night drinking and sleeps only during the day. This has been going on for pretty much two years now and I can't cope anymore, how can you help someone who refuses to even try to help themselves and takes no responsibility for anything they say or do. I am even looking at how to have her hospitalised to force her to take her medication and give the children some normality. I am on the verge of suicide myself now, even though I know it is wrong and I have children to look after. Please help me with what I can try to do before it's too late. I do live my wife dearly and the children and want them all to have a happy home life.

Sounds really complex. Presumably there were good reasons for the diagnosis of OCD being made, but its symptoms don't include bad temper or mood swings. And the alcohol intake would probably cancel out the benefits of the antidep[ressants IF she took them at all. She may need to be confronted clearly with the fact that her behaviour is totally unacceptable, and that you would consider leaving her and taking the children with her ( she can be in no fit state to care for them properly ) unless she sees a good local shrink for comprehensive treatment of her condition, including medication and psychotherapy and total cooperation with treatment on her part.

1
Posted by: Me | 2007/05/14

threaten to divorce her if she doesn't get her act together!

Reply to Me