Posted by: Concerned | 2004/11/23

Support for Huntingtons sufferer

Hi there,

My boyfriend has found out he has Huntington's Chorea. Although we've researched the technical aspects of the disease, is there anything I can do to support him in coping with the emotional side? There don't seem to be any support groups in our city and he has no one to talk to who understands what he is feeling. I've tried but it's like he has this huge black cloud hanging over him.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

I suspect that Huntingdon's is too rare for there to be enough people in one city at the same time, for a specific support group. But I think there are some for people with a range of neurological disorders, which have similar features. And a personal counsellor would probably be the best place to start. I understand your excellent thinking here. Maybe check with his neurologist, or the University / Medical School Dept of Genetics, to see if they know of a suitable support group

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: cassidy | 2004/11/23

You're great standing by your man like that, he sould appreciate you. I commend you for that, many people run a mile when their partners fall ill, and want nothing to do with the responsibility of it all. But there are those who for the sake of love & commitment stand by their partners no matter what.

take care concerned

Reply to cassidy

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.