Question
Posted by: supplements for neuropathic pain | 2007/03/31

supplements for neuropathic pain #2

Orthopod says I have developed neuropathic pain in my foot after an ankle sprain.

Neurologist advised me to increase my Vitamin B and Iron intake to aid neuropathic pain in my foot.
Do these supplements have side-effects?
Do certain foods/ drinks diminish their effects?
Is there anything else I can do?

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

These supplements do not have side-effects, except for sometimes constipation from a high intake of iron. Iron toxicity should be watched, especially in children, but I am sure you doctor would have made sure that your intake is suitably in line.

It is best if you can take vitamins in the chelated form – a bit more expensive, harder to come by, but you can reduce the intake dose as the absorption is increased.
B-vitamins are water soluble and therefore will easily wash out of the body if not absorbed. Therefore it is best to take it in 3 divided dosages per day.

Iron absorption is negatively affected by phytates which you will find in black tea, spinach and unleavened whole wheat.

Additionally I recommend that you ingest about 3000 – 4000 mg of Omega 3 (salmon) oil. It helps to reduce inflammation and forms a vital part of the nervous system which will obviously aid in your recuperation.

Speedy recovery!
Vanessa