Question
Posted by: Mia | 2007/05/14

Supplements for 12-year old?

My daughter is 12 years old, doesn't seem to eat a lot, and is very slim. She doesn't always take a healthy lunch box to school, sometimes buys things at the tuck shop. She stays at the school's aftercare in the afternoons. What can I give her (supplements or such) to make sure she gets enough of the essentials, and has a healthy body?
For myself: you recently recommended that I use Supradyn Forte. What's the diff between the Forte and the Recharge of this product?

Dear Mia
If you think that you daughter is deficient in essential nutrients, the best solution is still to use foods to achieve balanced nutrition - plan her lunch boxes, discuss the issue with her and encourage her to make healthy choices (drinking fruit juice or flavoured milk instead of cold drinks, eating wholewheat rolls with a healthy filling instead of crisps and sweets, etc). Click on 'Child' at the top of this page and then on 'Nutrition' and read my articles on diets for schoolchildren and teenagers to see what and how much she should be eating. As you may have noticed, I am not really in favour of curing poor eating habits by recommending vitamin and mineral supplements, but if there is not other option, then she can possibly take a calcium supplement like Caltrate and a Supradyn every second day, plus 1 Salmon oil capsule daily. The difference between Supradyn Forte and Recharge is that the former product has a high iron content which is recommended for adult women who are still menstruating.