Question
Posted by: tambo | 2004/10/14

Supplements and chemo???

Please, please help me!
My mom was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor, which was malignant but successfully removed in surgery. she is now undergoing radiation treatment (with two weeks to go out of six) and is also taking Temoxil as a chemo tablet every day for the next two weeks and then only five days out of every month for six more months.

Her other medication includes eglynol (anti depressant), epilim (anti convulsive), decadron (anti inflammatory 0,5mg three times a day) an antibiotic and probiotic and zantac (150mg twice a day).

Initial advice I received was to avoid all supplements during this time, except for Glutamine, Whey protein and something called Clear Form - which helps with detoxification (an amipro product full of vitamins and things like taurine). We have also been giving mom salmon oil capsules and bear claw garlic and have made fresh juices daily.

A few days ago I visited a nutritionalist who told us to cut red meat, dairy, fruit and gluten out of her diet and suggested Ester C, CoQ10, Procydin, Barley Green (and Just Carrots and Redibeet juice concentrates). These are strong antioxidants and as I was orginally advised that antioxidants are to be avoided so as not to interfere with the chemo drug - I am extremely confused! Please could you tell me what you think is best?!

We are giving mom one portion of whey protein (17grams) and one 10mg sachet of glutamine a day, as well as only one scoop of the Clear Form (instead of two). She is also having two glasses of fresh carrot and spinach/cabbage or tomato juice daily. Is that sufficient if she is eating well - we are sticking to organic produce, lots of fish, beans etc. I know too much beta carotene is not good, so how much carrot juice is too much?Also, will it harm her to have fruit, organic butter or cheese occassionally?

My other question is : I had heard that flax seed oil / seeds were excellent mixed with yoghurt or cottage cheese, however, I have also heard that it is not good to have too much omega 3 and that the salmon oil and olive oil is better? What sort of quantities should we be looking at for both?

I really don't know how to decide what to do and feel so powerless, so I would be most grateful for your help. It is very difficult making these decisions when it is someone you love that is involved!

Thank you for your time!
Kind regards

Expert ImageNatural health

Hello Tambo

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to see someone you love go through this trauma but what I read between the lines is that you are doing a lot of good to help her. God bless you for your love and concern.

To answer your questions:

The medication your mom is taking and the radiation puts a lot of burden on the body, especially the liver and kidneys as well as her immune system. Supporting these organs and system will be of great benefit to her. You are already on the right track with the right foods. She must not have too much oily foods such as the fish oil or oil capsules. Rather stick to eating the raw seeds and nuts and having fresh fish than taking capsules. The liver is already battling, rather give the oil in the form nature makes it than in a concentrated form. A little bit daily will be very good. It is the continuous using of these foods that will show the results. A tot of carrot and beetroot juice is perfect am and pm. Not more. We are inclined to think that if a little is good a lot will be better. The body can only deal with a little at a time but loves a little often and long term.

Cutting out the red meat, fruit, gluten and certain dairy can benefit your mom because the liver dislikes these foods. Rather stick to fermented dairy such as chunky cottage cheese and maas, fish, free range and organic chicken and loads of brown rice and whole grains. Filtered water is crucial as is sunshine and fresh air.

Bio-Strath Elixir is something we want to highly recommend your mom uses as it has been proven in the treatment of cancer that it benefits the body tremendously. She must take it 3x daily and ongoing. It won't be necessary to give the Barley Green then or Procydin. Anti-oxidants are present in our fresh foods, but taking it in large quantities in a supplement is not always advised.

Invest in a coffee grinder and grind the linseeds also called flaxseeds in the morning and give it immediately to your mom with some cottage cheese or on her porridge. Again, eating olives, fish and ground up linseeds will be better than taking in only the oil. A heaped tablespoon of linseeds is more than enough daily. 5 to 10 olives and a piece of fish the size of her palm is excellent.

Tissue Salt Therapy and Bach Flower remedies can be invaluable to your mom durings this time to help her body and central nervous system. These treatments are gentle and the body will respond to them rapidly. Please consult an experienced homeopath to help you select the tissue salts and Bach remedies she needs. Bach can even be excellent for you emotionally. The famous Bach remedy is called Rescue Remedy. Also, once she has stopped treatment she must please see the homeopath to help her. My mother is a homeopath and iridologist and there is so much one can do to help a person through this time and afterwards.

Understand that she is busy with a serious treatment and that the body won't just bounce out of it even with all the things that she does to support her. The natural treatment is carying her through this time but the side effects of the treatment will be visible. be positive, supportive and enjoy the time one spends together. What you are experiencing is to live every moment of life to the full and never to waste time because you don't know what tomorrow will bring. Cherish it.

Kind regards to you and your mom.

God bless you both.

Estie