Question
Posted by: steve | 2010/01/25

supplements

I feel I eat fairly healthy - but a lot of medical shows on TV recommend supplements with vitamins.

Hear about Omega 3 and 6
Zinc
Calciun
Magnesium
Vitamin B (B1, B6, B12)

There are so many on the market - where to begin.

Is there a basic supplement that you recommend - and why ?

Is a multivitamin recommended ?
Is the concentration of say Omega 3 and 6 higher in the particular tablet rather than the multivitamin ?

Dear Steve
In view of recent research studies the general recommendation from dietitians and nutritionists is that anyone who is eating a balanced diet and is not ill, actually does not need to take any vitamin, mineral or essential fatty acid supplements and that avoiding excessive intake of esp vitamin supplements may protect against increased mortality! I would recommend that people eating a western diet should take omega-3 supplements (not omega-6 because our diets are rich in omega-6 derived from plant oils) or Salmon oil capsules. If you don't eat dairy products or drink milk (3 servings a day) then you probably also need to take a calcium supplements such as MenaCal.7 (which also contains vits D and K to ensure that the calcium is deposited in your bones and teeth and not in your arteries). A healthier option is to rather have low-fat or fat-free milk and dairy products 3 times a day. If you do decide that you need to take a supplement then use one that combines vitamins and minerals like Centrum or Supradyn and take it every second day. These vitamin and minerals supplements do not contain omega-3 and you will still have to take the Salmon oil capsules in addition.

1

Dear Steve