Question
Posted by: Elvis | 2007/07/20

Supplements

Hallo Doc, I am a relatively fit 22 year old rugby and waterpolo player. I am not playing rugby this season to get over some injuries. I would like to go on a serious training program that incoperates both rugby and waterpolo training along with some gym work for the next four months. Together with that I want to loose some weight(fat) for the waterpolo and gain strenght(lean muscle) for the rugby without increasing my body weight. I weigh 114 kg and I am 1.95 m tall and think a good weight for me would be +-110 kg. I have never really taken any supplements, and really struggle with recovery time, since I want to train twice on some days. What would you suggest in the line of supplements, what is the right supplements to take and when should one take them.

Thanks for all your trouble, its greatly appreciated.

Expert ImageSports Nutrition

Hi Elvis

Sounds like you are an impressive sportsman and one with the right mindset which will certainly help you get far!

Once you have sorted out your training programs to achieve your goals you need to determine what your body’s calorie need in relation there to is – in other words the calorie need for 110 kg plus your training calories averaged out over a period of a week. Professional athletes should eat about six times per day with the macro nutrients in the right ratio. Divide your calorie need into six meals per day with a ratio of 50-60% carbs, 15-25% protein, and 20% fat. Also try and keep this ratio as close as possible for each of the six meals. Mostly consume low GI carbohydrates and ONLY use higher GI carbs during and after training to refuel you stores. Read food labels to supply you with the necessary nutrition information to be able to perform the calculations and visit the GI foundations of SA’s website www.gifoundation.com for more info on the glycemic index of foods.
Please look back into the archives where a while ago I pasted a dietsheet template which should give you a good idea of what to do.

Now only we can start talking supplements. Supplements are used in conjuction with a proper eating program. We make use of isotonic drinks before, during and after taining which contain high GI carbs + a little protein to refuel the stores. After a very heavy weight training session we will use a meal replacement shake as there is a 45 minute window period where in to refuel the body and therefore there is no time to rely on food to firstly digest to give us the nutrients. After all training sessions take a recovery product like Muscle Armor – I have seen best results with this product. Lastly make sure you consume at least 4 l of water per day and get enough sleep and I promise your will achieve all your goals and more.

Always a pleasure to help! Keep me posted to your progress.

Take care.
Vanessa

1
Posted by: SportBoy | 2007/07/20

Hey bro.
Tough luck on the injury. Been there myself. Being a rugby fan I know lLuke Watson personally and he told me that he has been using glucosomine sulphate from a brand called Reflex. He raves about it.

For lean muscle gain and fat loss, CLA will work well. It encourages fat loss and lean muscle growth. I believe EAS supplies a decent one at a reasonable price.

For faster recovery, you can try L-Glutamine. Most of the brands stock L-Glutamine. Generally stick to the international brands to ensure you are getting quality products, though from what I can tell MuscleScience is not a bad local brand.

Remember to get plenty of protein every day. Around 2 grams for every kilo that you weigh. Take in chicken breasts, turkey, fish, etc... You could always supplement the protein intake with a good whey, though that isn't neceassary if you are eating properly. I usually use ON Whey, but I've been looking at the Reflex Instant Whey at Luke's suggestion, and it appears to have an even higher protein content and at a similar price I might give it a try next month.

Reply to SportBoy