Question
Posted by: Nick | 2004/10/19

supplements

I would like to know your view on supplements. Dont you think some ppl who are suffering with weight and have tried to loose and go to supplements for help or last resort, everybody cant be super fit but supplements can help their body look good.
I also want to ask you about "phedra Cut" i have heard abt it,it is very successful, I have some fat to loose and it justs does not want to go away, thinking of going for it, please i want to hear ur expert opinion.

Hi Nick

I am not a huge believer in them, to be honest. I would not say that they are all bad, but my biggest problem with the supplement market is the lack of control. When a medicine comes out, you know that it has been tested over and over and that it is well researched. WIth supplements, they tend to be released once a month, they are all "scientifically tested" but none are ever actually tested properly. So, what are the side effects? Who knows? Do they work? Who knows, and that's the problem and you can't really go on what you read. If you do a search for the products, all you find are advertisements, and of course they are biased because they are there to sell the product.

You did mention that as a last resort you might turn to supplements. Maybe in this case, but then they type of supplement is very important. Weight loss supplements are dodgy, in my opinion, because they all aim to elevate the body's metabolic rate and so contain stimulants, either herbal or not. This is the case with phedra cut and many of the others, and I can't see that they can be too safe. Phedra cut is an interesting one, it was actually banned in the USA after being linked with a few deaths during exercise. Enough said - the reason this is suspected is because it increases the metabolic rate, but more important, it allows you to perhaps exercise harder and this causes you to store more heat and so heat injury becomes possible.

So that's my opinion, it's biased because of the lack of scientific knowledge. At the end of the day, supplements represent a short cut towards weight loss and the problem then is that once you take that direction, you are forced into it for good, and there's a lot of cases that you rebound back to your original weight once you stop taking supplements.