Question
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/22

Supplements

I've got tons of questions again today!
What exactly are all the supplements you have to take when you are pregnant? I need some advice for my friend.

Thanks a lot!

Folate is the most important thing to take. A vitamin such as Pregnavit M is also a good idea.

2
Posted by: ciska | 2004/01/22

Thanks purple. You've been a great help!

Have a nice day! :-)

Reply to ciska
Posted by: Purple | 2004/01/22

In the first 12 weeks (preferably even before conception) one should take folic acid. These helps to prevent spina bifida.
Also, a multivitamin for during pregnancy e.g. pregnavit. This you take all the way through and while breastfeeding.

Some doctors like you to stop your multivitamin if you are nauseaus, others tell you to carry on taking it. The multi vitamin has enough folic acid in it, but some doctors still like you to take the extra folic acid. Your friend should just discuss this with her gynae.

She should remember to eat healthily, drink lots of water and avoid anything raw (meat, eggs, etc), and soft cheeses (bree, camembert, blue veined cheeses). Also no alcohol or smoking. She doesn't need to panic if she's had any of these substances, just stop having them from now onwards.

Reply to Purple