Question
Posted by: john | 2004/02/03

Supplement for burning fat.

I currently weight lift, do cardio and follow a low fat diet. However my % of body fat is not dropping. Is there a safe supplement that I can also take to reduce body fat.

Hi John

My personal opinion is to stick to the natural means of losing weight and body fat - the moment you start looking at supplementation, you are bypassing the natural process of reducing body fat, and this has to eventually catch up to you. In the case of fat burners, many contain something called ephedra, or phedra, which is a particularly harmful product, and is in fact now banned in the USA. Those that do not often contain other substances which are potentially harmful - HMB is one that comes to mind. The main problem is that these supplements are never fully tested for side-effects or effectiveness, and so they are unknown in the long-term effects. Therfore, my advice would be to continue to train as you have been. You must give this a long time to happen - I'm not sure how long you've been at it, but if you start off at a reasonably low body fat percentage, then you can very easily expect it to take up to year to get any noticeable reduction in body fat. Just keep at it and the results will come.