Question
Posted by: supplement burning | 2008/01/15

supplement burning

I have been taking Patrick Holford's Get up & Go supplement 'shake' powder which I blend with a banana and soya milk.
However, I find that within a few minutes my facial skin flushes and burns (esp. cheeks and chin).
Is there any particular vitamin / mineral that could specifically cause this?

I'll be honest - I know a doctor at a local hospital (Cape Town), who has spent a great deal of time looking at various supplements - his area of speciality, incidentally, is allergies. And he is very dismissive and critical of the Holford formula. He is of the opinion that it neither works nor that it's ever been tested for safety. So quite honestly, I suspect that your reaction is some kind of allergy, not by a vitamin, but by who knows what else is in the supplement. I agree with the doctor - this kind of supplement, which is never tested, never evaluated, is impossible to gauge in terms of its advantages and disadvantages. If the problem persists, then I would get off the shake. Rather go for something like Nestle Nutren Active, which is a reputable product.