Question
Posted by: supplement burning | 2008/01/15

supplement burning

I have been taking Patrick Holford's Get up & Go supplement 'shake' powder which I blend with a banana and soya milk.
However, I find that within a few minutes my facial skin flushes and burns (esp. cheeks and chin).
Is there any particular vitamin / mineral that could specifically cause this?

Dear Supplement Burning
It is possible that there is some ingredient in Patrick Holford's Get up & Go supplement that is causing the facial skin flushes and burns, but it is difficult to say which one. Some people react to high doses of niacin or nicotinic acid (a B vitamin) with flushing, but because your skin also burns, I would recommend that you try eliminating the supplement for awhile to see if this improves the condition and to check if it is not the banana and soya milk that is causing the reaction. The only way to determine which component is giving you the reaction is to have allergy tests done. Ask your gp about such tests.