Question
Posted by: Lientjie | 2008/01/08

Sunburn-swelling

Two days ago I burned quite bad while tanning on the beach. The next day a pharmacist advised me to use "Fastum". It took most of the pain away. This morning I discovered that both of my legs were swollen. It's even worse now. I'm using "Mylocort" as the pharmacist said it's inflammation. I don't think it's an allergic reaction to Fastum as I used that on my back as well without any troubles. Could it be inflammation? And will Mylocort help? When should I start seeing an improvement? I don't want to go to a docter if this is normal and will only last a few days.

Hallo Lientjie
Try Voltaren jel on the burnt areas - it helps for the inflammation and the pain. If the swelling is "pitting" - in other words if you press on the swollen area and there is a hollow in the skin when you take your finger away, and it stays there for a while, I think your need to see your doctor as this may be due to something other than the sun burn. Mylocort contains cortisone that can cause fluid retention. Maybe you should rather stop this.