Question
Posted by: Guy | 2008/01/10

SunBlock/SunScreen

Hi Guys,

I have really sensitive skin, and I burn very quick in the sun, compared the average person in the sun.

Normal sunblocks do not work, even something with SPF 50 doesnt even work... Does anyone have similar problems?

When I get sunburnt, it take me a few months to get back to my normal complexion.

Does CLINIQUE, and other reputable brands work?

What do you suggest?

Expert ImageAnti-ageing expert

Hi Guy, thank you for the question.

It is very important to use a SPF that contains either zinc oxide or titanium dioxide or both. An excellent brand is the Heliocare range that consists of a gel, cream, and spray (all have a SPF 50), and a capsule that has a further increase of your own SPF to around 3.

4
Posted by: fiftysomething | 2008/02/25

Hi, I mostly look like an owl during the day..due to dark cricles. I am taking Vit B but nothing seems to help. Is here help out there?

Reply to fiftysomething
Posted by: Al | 2008/01/27

I also battled with some well known brands and have found a local South African product called Kool-a-Sun which works well and is well priced. From what I have read the higher SPF's are actually more of a con than anything else. Difference between SPF 30 and SPF 50 is about 1 % as far as sunblocking capacity is concerned.

Reply to Al
Posted by: leo | 2008/01/14

I have been useing clinque sunblock for almost a year and it a good sunblock it does not leave that white mask that almost every sunblock leaves and as for the sensitive part Clinque's skincare comes in various strenghts and you should choose the best for you as for there product is is allergy tested and goes thru a lot of test before it is made and defiently believe in clinique when you first start taking skincare seriously

Reply to leo
Posted by: Kate Noodle | 2008/01/13

Do not use Clinique if you have sensitive skin. Trust me, from someone with the same problem, I advise against it. Most of the products are known to contain harsh chemicals that literally strip the layers of skin from your face which is not so fun especially when your cheeks look like burnt marshmellow smudges the next morning.

This is what I would recommend: use the factor 50 and remember to apply a new layer every 2 hours. You can't go wrong. Also wear a hat and sunglasses and you should be fine. If that doesn't help, order factor 100 sunscreen on the net if not available in your chemist. If that doesn't help, go see a Dermotologist.

About your sensitive skin, what facial wash do you use? I am still having trouble finding a suitable non-abrasive yet deep cleanser. I was using Dermologica for a while as it's mostly tea tree and herbal based but then one day, my skin suddenly had a bad reaction to it and so I'm now back to my old trusted friend Mr. Cetaphil. Can't go wrong there either.

Reply to Kate Noodle