Question
Posted by: New Mommy | 2004/10/19

Sunbed while pregnant

Hi there,

I'm 21 weeks pregnant and so far haven't had any problems.
I asked my Gynae if it would be safe to sunbed. He said it's okay but I should not overdo it.
Now one of my friends said your baby can become blind. Since it's my first child, I don't want to put my baby at any risk. Rather careful than sorry. However, I think it's a load of bull. My gynae said I should tan about every 2 to 3 days rather than every day.
Please tell me if it's safe or not. I've searched various websites and nowhere they say anything about sunbed danger when pregnant.

tx

Gynae is right

4
Posted by: New Mommy | 2004/10/22

Tx so much for all the replies to my question.

I'm even more confused now. I just love the sun, although I've always been very careful, and I always use a sunscreen with the highest protection. I just can't see myself going through this Summer without a tan. Really girls, I'm as white as snow and face it, a tan just makes u look healthier. Unfortunately I cannot use self-tan lotions. There some ingredient which I'm allergic to. I also cannot afford to go for a self-tan spray.
Doesn't anyone else have any other suggestions.

I'll be in my last few weeks during Feb... the hottest month ever.

Ps: I never lie in the sunbed for longer than 20 min. The sunbed-lady I go to is very strict about sunbed protection.

H e l p!

Reply to New Mommy
Posted by: Claire | 2004/10/19

I know a girl who did a lot of tanning when she was a teenager, and she really struggled to get pregnant later on. And to crown matters, she had two miscarriages. I couldn't help thinking that it was maybe because she had damaged her ovaries by exposing them to the sun's radiation for so many hours and hours a week during her youth.

But then again I may be wrong because I know she also had anorexia nervosa as a teenager and that, too, can lead to fertility problems later on.

Reply to Claire
Posted by: Mommy 2 be | 2004/10/19

Do a search on sunbed on this sight and you'll find a lot of interesting articles. Personally (my view) it's not safe due to the fact that it can cause skin cancer. But it's up to you to decide. Keep in mind that when pregnant you're more prone to skin pigmentation because of hormone changes. Best advice: Keep out of the sun, away from sunbeds and rather use self tanning lotion.

Reply to Mommy 2 be
Posted by: Lee | 2004/10/19

Hi there,
What you can do is type sun bed in the search area and then search the archives for the responses to previous postings on the subject.
I really dont think that its such a good idea to go on the sunbed whilst pregnant. When on the sunbed, it tends to get quite hot and in turn you raise your blood pressure, which is not good for your unborn baby at all. Also i would think that the UV rays wouldnt be good for the baby either.
Maybe what you can do is use a self tan lotion, apparently there are many that are safe to use in pregnancy. You are right when you say rather be safe than sorry. Its only a small sacrafice for a little time you make for your little angels health.

God Bless and Take Care!

Reply to Lee