Question
Posted by: CK | 2004/11/23

Summer fruits

I eat at least 4 servings of fruit a day and with all the summer fruits coming into season, I tend to eat alot more. But I suffer from acidity and excessive bloating and am not sure which fruits to avoid as everything I eat seems to bloat me these days.
Please advise which of the following fruits I should avoid
apricots, grapes, plums + prune plums, peaches, spansek, nectarines,kiwi,watermelon,paw paw,banana, apple, pears,pineapple,
I also eat raisins with my breakfast (yog & cereal)
Please advise which are acidic fruits and which are fementing fruits.
Many thanks

Dear CK
You may suffer from Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS). Two of the most important factors in IBS are a lack of dietary fibre and stress. To increase your dietary fibre intake and obtain tips about this condition, click on ‘Diet', ‘You are what you eat' and "Healthy GI tract'. If you suffer from flatulence and bloating, you will have to experiment with the foods you eat that may cause problems with a spastic colon (raw onions, garlic, cucumber, green peppers, very spicy foods and condiments, gas-cold drinks, fruits that contain pips such as guavas, figs, etc). This is often an individual reaction and you will have to keep a food diary to see what foods cause this problem and then cut them out. Your doctor will also be able to prescribe medicines which can relieve the flatulence such as Bevispas, so chat to your doctor about such medications.
To relieve stress I would recommend that you should learn relaxing techniques, how to do deep breathing exercises and some form of physical exercise which is also relaxing, such as yoga. Going for brisk walks in the fresh air also helps to relieve tension.
The following may help you with the acid, alkaline controversy. Foods that have an acid taste like lemon juice, citrus fruits and strawberries do not actually produce an acid reaction in the body once they are metabolised, in contrast the final product of the metabolism of such foods is alkaline. Acid residues are formed by meat, fish, poultry, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, peanuts, bacon, Brazil and walnuts, all types of bread, cereals, pasta, corn on the cob, cranberries, plums, prunes and plain cakes and cookies. Alkaline residues are formed in the body when we eat all milk and dairy products, almonds, chestnuts, coconut, all types of fruit (except corn on the cob, lentils), all types of fruit except the ones listed under acid ash. Fats and oils, sugar, honey, maizena, tapioca and coffee and tea are classed as neutral.