Question
Posted by: ToB | 2004/09/30

Summer Bunny

How were you caught out & will the auditors pick it up for sure? How much did you take?

My secretary suggested - Could you put back the money, and explain it as an expenditure for which you couldn't find a matching receipt or cash slip, but you continued looking. Not finding the right documentation, you are puting the money back into the petty cash to make up the difference, as you recognize that you shouldn't have allowed the money out without the proper documentation. I don't know about these matters or these procedures --- wouldn't it be better to take the bull by the horns, and approach the person in charge and admit what happened, apologise, and promise that it'll never happen again, and ask to have petty cash no longer any of your responsibility ?

3
Posted by: oi | 2004/09/30

can't you put the money back now?

Reply to oi
Posted by: ToB | 2004/09/30

Trying to figure out how to cover my tracks I feel sick to my stomach just trying to figure it out.

I hate accounts I wish I was never involved in this. The thing is it has been reconciled I basically have not posted it but how do I explain the reimbursement amount . I put it down as a expense that didn't exist with no receipt . Did you get another job?

Reply to ToB
Posted by: Summer bunny | 2004/09/30

It was about R400 over a period of time...you know R10 bucks here, 50 bucks there that kind of thing and never got around to putting it back. Instead what i did was i was processing petty cash slips that had already been reconciled from previous batches. Then i got really ill and went on sick leave, somehow, someone managed to figure out what had happened. I think when the finance manager went back to a previous batch he found that there were duplicated slips or something...i don't really know...i just know that i did get caught out, learnt a lesson and never ever took a job where petty cash would have been my responsibilty.

Why do you ask??? What are you up to?

Reply to Summer bunny