Question
Posted by: Neville | 2008/06/23

Suitable alternatives to breast milk

Hi. Our 6 week prem baby(now 4 weeks old) has decided that he doesn't enjoy breast milk any longer. He cries constantly after the feed and is extremely restless. Out of desperation I bought him Isomil 1 and we started feeding him that. He is much better and is a differant child after the feed. My question is why would breast milk make him so ill and did I select the correct alternative. I heard someone say Isomil worked well for them and tried it. Now everyone says tries this one or that one and I'm afraid I may have chosen the wrong one.

Expert ImageArchive

Dear Neville
It is usually not the breastmilk causing the cramps and the only way to say for sure is to see a lactation consultant. The problem with starting directly on Isomil is that it is a soya milk and 50% of babies who are allergic are also reacting soya. best would be to see a breastfeeding / feeding consultant to take your history and help you find out why your little one did not like the milk. It may well be that mom had plenty of milk and then they sometimes drink a lot, which may cause colic and crampiness. This is what we call a unbalance between foremilk and hindmilk and can be easily corrected with professional help and support. If you want you can still be helped to go back to breastfeeding, but if you don't just get professional help. To other parents reading the comment, be careful to to what worked for others, since it may work for you, but in the long run it may not be the best route to go. Formula is not like milk for adults that you can buy from the shelve, it should actually be treated more like a medicine, since there is such a wide variety or options and it is important to select the most suitable one, else it can just cause more tears for baby and parents.
Good luck.
Welma

3
Posted by: cs | 2008/06/26

my premmie was recommended Pre-Nan. You can always give it a go.

Reply to cs
Posted by: Lisa | 2008/06/25

Hi, my seuntjie het ook vreeslik krampe gekry nadat hy borsmelk gedrink het al het ek hoe opgelet na wat ekself eet. Iemand het my ook die Isomil raad gegee en vandat ek hom daarop gesit het gaan dit baie baie beter met hom. Hy is nou al 4 mde oud, nog altyd op Isomil en hy kry nie meer krampe nie en is nie meer rusteloos na sy bottels nie. So as dit werk, gaan aan met dit!

Reply to Lisa
Posted by: Kym | 2008/06/24

On the breastmilk I cant help you. I have no idea but on the subject of formula. If it works and your baby is growing and is happy then you did the right thing. Everyone is always full of 'helpful' advice the best advice I recieved my my sons gran was take what you feel is right for you and throw the rest out. :) There I go being helpful :)

Good luck and enjoy your baby

Reply to Kym