Question
Posted by: Pip | 2007/05/18

Suicide of family member

I am so devasted this morning. We just found out that my uncle (who lives in the states) shot himself on wednesday!... apparently he went out of their house to their little pier, phoned the police informing them that there is a dead body there that they need to clean up before contacting the person (his wife) on the paper left behind. He then shot himself in the chest. Apparently he has been out of work since January and it appears that it's all become too much for him to bear. he left her a little suitcase with notes on what she needs to do, who to contact, and then a letter - don't know the contents of it.

I feel so sad that he got to the point that death was he only option!... He has left behind his wife (who can't drive) and a daughter living about 6 hours away.

I just cannot seem to comprehend it all. He was such happy, easy going, confident person... why this?

So sorry to hear about this Pip. It is very hard for those of us who are not suicidally depressed to understand the way such a person thinks. But it is clear that while the Depression robs them of all traces of hope, so they don't see ways to improve the situation even if those weays might be obvious to others, there's a sort of tunnel vision that develops, in which the person looks less and less widely around them, focussing more and more specifically on ending their lives, and not being accessable to help. Though it is very rarely true that death is indeed their only option, it comes to seem to to them, and they become more and more convinced of this.
I hope your aunt had friends and access to counsellors to help her through this very difficult time

2
Posted by: RMC | 2007/05/18

He must have felt so desperate. Hugs to you and the family, Pip.

Reply to RMC
Posted by: C. | 2007/05/18

I don't think anyone can really say why, but it's sad, and I'm so sorry.

Reply to C.