Question
Posted by: DONE | 2006/10/27

Suicide

Last night i decided that i had had enough and was going to end it. I even started to cut my wrist then i suddenly thought of who was going to find me and what it would do to them... I lay in my bed last night thinking how stupid i was to do this!!!! I have always believed that suicide is not an option until i gave up. i have been thinking about it all morning and i thought if i wanted to do it them i should have and not cared about anyone else.

I phone my friend and told her how stupid i was, she is a councellor, she told me that i have realised what i was foing and that i will be ok now...

My question is what if i feel like this again, what should i do?

Well Done, indeed ! There are several good reasons for continnuing to live, and to work on your problems, but I'm pleased that you thought of some of them and stopped in time. Too many people don't think of the unavoidable impact of their death, by any cause, on so many other people, some of whom you don't even know. The only point on which I'd disagree with the friend you called, is that I don't think one should take it for granted that you will be "OK for now" from now on, without taking further action to be sure that this is so. I think you should see a counsellor, other than your friend, preferably a CBT style counsellor, and work through the issues that had led you to the point of giving up, to discover how to cope with those and with any other challenges that might turn up. Thus you will both lessen the risk of further such bleak episodes, and increase your skill in coping with them should they turn up

4
Posted by: anon | 2006/10/27

in other words: you chicken out.

only 1 in 12 i think it is, suicide attemts by cutting succede.

I reckon you never actually wanted to die, just wanted to get it out, either that or you wanted attention.

Reply to anon
Posted by: nd | 2006/10/27

Just a tip that works for me, write a list of all the things you still want to do in your life and whenever you have suicidal thoughts go back to this list and remember all the things you want to do! Good Luck!

Reply to nd
Posted by: Echelle | 2006/10/27

I think most people will come to a point where they want to kill themselves, but after they decided not to do it they are relieved that they didn't! Always remember that there are people that love you and think about how you will hurt them by committing suicide! Always keep a photo of someone that is very special to you in your wallet and everytime you think about ending your life you look at that photo and who you will leave behind! It's really terrible to loose someone, especially when they commit suicide, because they will blame themselves for not noticing or for being to late to help you, etc. So think about everybody that loves you! Hope you won't think about it again!

Reply to Echelle
Posted by: Clueless. | 2006/10/27

An emotion (feeling) is brought on by thoughts. Thoughts that are known to you, as well as automatic thoughts (those thoughts you hardly ever notice cause they go at all the time). What are the thoughts you have when you are depressed? Are those thoughts REAL, in other words, is the thought appropriate and true? Most times it's not, it's lies you tell yourself, and you BELIEF those lies. It's all in how you handle those thoughts, if you are able to bend them and make them true based on facts. You can be just as happy as you are sad now. It's all in the mind. Get some CBT, help solve the mistery in your head.

Reply to Clueless.