Posted by: skorokoro | 2005/12/12

Suicidal young drug addict

I have a 17yr old cousin who's having a drug problem, this is in a township in Soweto. He left school and practically does nothing of value, he steals anything he can lay his hands on, to sell to finance his habit, he terrorises his own grandmother, assaults her, steals her pension money to buy drugs, afterwhich he becomes even more violent and takes anything from clothing hanging on the washing lines, umbrellas, spare wheels, house implements etc. A number of complains have been lodged at a nearby police station. He was finally arrested by locals and taken to the police station. He is now in custody there, i went to see him there over the weekend, he smuggled in a razor blade and cut himself in a suicide attempt, he claims he is being sodomised by older criminals. The family is now in a dilemma on what to do next, because if he is release he will continue where he left off, but also do not appreciates what's happening to him in prison cells, he may contract Hiv etc. How can we solve this problem, advise please.

Not what you were looking for? Try searching again, or ask your own question
Our expert says:
Expert ImageCyberShrink

A drug habit is an extremely expensive hobby. But if he is asaulting and stealing fro his grandmother, the police should be involved, and charges laid against him ( in jail there's a chance he might get some help to quit his drug habit ). If he is being victimized by other prisoners, complain to the authorities at the prison / police station and insist that they prevent this from happening --- but don't withdraw charges and let him return to his bad old ways, as that has high risks as well, for other people as well as for him.

The information provided does not constitute a diagnosis of your condition. You should consult a medical practitioner or other appropriate health care professional for a physical exmanication, diagnosis and formal advice. Health24 and the expert accept no responsibility or liability for any damage or personal harm you may suffer resulting from making use of this content.

Our users say:
Posted by: Cleo | 2005/12/12

Get help through the Narconon.coza website - they are situated in Jhb. Someone will help you with this problem, there are contact numbers. Good Luck!

Reply to Cleo
Posted by: Frusty | 2005/12/12

Oh dear, very nasty situation. Well, he obviously needs intensive therapy. You do realise of course that the suicide attempt could just be a way of trying to get attention or merely delusions? Either way, whether the allegations are true or not, he definately needs help. Urgently.

Reply to Frusty

Have your say

Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.
Thanks for commenting! Your comment will appear on the site shortly.