Question
Posted by: Cronje | 2005/12/07

Suicidal

hi all !! Please help !! My sister is threatening suicide everyday and and calls her adult children when she's taken overdose pills. When everyone arrives to help her she fights with everyone to leave her alone yet she's the one who called and asked for help. How can we help her?? She stays alone.

Her children should discuss this with her GP or some psychiatrist near her, and discuss whether she qualifies for a compulsory hospital admission as a danger to herself, for proper treatment. That doctor could also explore whether there was a way to have her guns taken away. If she doesn';t have a gun license for them ( and the state seems to have made that almost impossible to achieve ) the police may be already entitled to confiscate her guns.

8
Posted by: Nicolai | 2005/12/07

Sibling....I think I should get checked for Alzheimers...my word!!

Reply to Nicolai
Posted by: Nicolai | 2005/12/07

....missed a line...sorry.... it will have to be up to you, the offspring to take this situation under control.

Reply to Nicolai
Posted by: NIcolai | 2005/12/07

...SOunds like she is losing her marbles..especially if her personality has been so drastically affected. If I'm not mistaken Alzheimers patients bocome very aggro & the bad language just flows. She needs help, and either her husband or or kids can book her into an asylum to be correctly diagnosed. She will fight you all the way, but the other option is not really an option at all is it?

Reply to NIcolai
Posted by: Cronje | 2005/12/07

Everyone is scared of her, for the past 12 months everytime she talks she uses the "F" word. Its actually shocking the way she uses it in everything that comes out of her mouth. "Waar is my Fokon skoene? "My Fokon kinders will my nie kom kuier nie". Alles alles is net Fokon Fokon. Is dit reg?? Its too difficult to get through to her because she thinks everyone is just so wrong about her. She recently lost her husband because of heart attack but she believes the hospital actually killed him and she's been mourning that the past 12 months. When her husband was hospitalised she was fighting with everyone, from doctors, receptionists, even the security guys by die hospitaal. We all feel sorry for her but its difficult to help her with her attitude. She's working but she fights with her boss every single day. Gister she told me she's about to be fired. Im sorry to sound boring but we just dont know how to help. My husband has told me to stay away from her because he's scared she'll shoot me and our kids but i cant, she's my sister and she needs help. Thanks for listening!!

Reply to Cronje
Posted by: Jillybean | 2005/12/07

I'm sorry, but I kinda laughed when reading your last post! You just sounded sooo funny! I'm very sorry!
Can't you take the dogs away from her? Or wait... she'll always find something to threaten you guys with, why don't you go and find out if the guns can be taken away?
I think your family should get together ASAP and decide what you guys are going to do, because she might not hurt herself but someone/something instead? You have to help her or get her some kind of help. Keep us posted & Good luck!!

Reply to Jillybean
Posted by: Cronje | 2005/12/07

Thank you for the advice. i will suggest it to other family members. She has threatened to skiet her dogs dood as well. We so scared she's gonna do it - yet we also scared to confront her in case she blows our heads with a gun. Is a way or law that the guns can be taken away from her (like report her somewhere where she would loose her gun licence?

Reply to Cronje
Posted by: Jillybean | 2005/12/07

I think although she won't admit it, she wants help. Therefor she calls whenever she's had an overdose. Is there anyone who is willing to take her in or go and stay with her for a while? Maybe convince her to go and see someone?

Reply to Jillybean
Posted by: Friend | 2005/12/07

Firstly, she should not be living alone, force her to stay with one of her children, she will fight she will get angry but will get over it. she needs a new perspective , a new environment will help .

Reply to Friend