Question
Posted by: Away | 2007/06/06

Suggestions

At the moment I go to the gym 4-5 times a week. 20 min cardio, and about 40min circute and light weights. Next week I must go away for about six weeks. I will not have a gym available there. I do however have weights. Do you have suggestions on what i can do to keep up my "programme"?

Having done the circuit, I'm sure you have a pretty reasonable idea of what muscles you need to target using your weights. And so the obvious thing to do is simply replicate the session - in other words, when you normally would have done an exercise for the biceps, you would just do the same but with weights rather than pulleys and machines. the circuit is nothing more than a convenient 'trip around the body', so you can quite easily do the necessary work using free weights as well.

Also, it might be a good chance to build on the cardio part of the programme - maybe a swop of the current breakdown would be good - instead of 40 minutes weights and 20 minutes cardio, you can go the other way, and do more cardio. That way, your focus changes for the 6 weeks, and you'll come back fitter and more hungry than ever to hit the circuit again. That would be my advice for how best to use this time away.