Question
Posted by: FH | 2004/10/15

Sugar Free Peanut Butter

** This is going to sound like a weird topic. **

I am a 29 y/old diabetic male, and my wife was diagnosed with PCOS and insulin resistance. We are both currently following an eating plan that was setup by a registered dietitian, which has been working very well for both of us.

We both love peanut butter, and use it regularly as one of our fat portions in our meal plan. I was disappointed to see that the Black Cat branded peanut butter no longer has the heart foundation approval. I'm assuming that this is because of the added sugar in their products now (they were previously not added to the 'old' recipe).

I know there was some debate about it in the media recently. Do you or any of the other readers perhaps know if there are still sugar free versions of the Black Cat branded peanut butter being produced, or if there are plans to bring them back. At present the only brand I know of making a sugar free one is Yum-Yum, but I still prefer the taste of the Black Cat one.

any responses welcome.

Dear FH
I am aware of this problem and Black Cat are working on it. You should check the labels and if they do not list any sugar content, then you will know that the product you are buying is back to normal and the same as when they had the Heart Mark.
Enjoy

4
Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/29

Hi there are so many write ups about peanut butter being so good for diabetics. one article said eat the normal peanut butter. Message posted by John says Peanuts have a high carbohydrate content and should be avoided by diabetics. The type of oils contained in peanuts are also not very healthy. Thank you!

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/29

Posted by: Anonymous | 2016/06/29

Posted by: john | 2004/10/16

Peanuts have a high carbohydrate content and should be avoided by diabetics. The type of oils contained in peanuts are also not very healthy. The essential oils contained in avocado, almonds, brazil, macadamia, hazelnut, pecan are far superior when compared to peanuts.

In any case, if you have peanut butter you will have to smear it onto a slice of bread which is a bad idea if you are diabetic. So the issue really isnt whether sugar has been added to peanut butter or not.

A carbohydrate restricted diet has been shown to be very effective for diabetics. There is pleanty of info on this type of diet on the net. I have personally experinced the health benefits of this kind of diet. Note that a carb restricted diet does not necessarily mean a high protein diet.

Reply to john