Question
Posted by: naked nun | 2008/06/03

sugar free confectionary

dear dietdoc

what do you think about eating sugar-free sweets (such as the ones sold by sweets from heaven) instead of regular sweets? would an overconsumption of them cause diarhoea or worse, weight gain? I'm also confused by something i read about the nutritional value of those sweets: it listed the carb content as say X grams per 100g, and then it went on in the next line to say, readily absorbable carbs is say 2/X grams per 100g. What does that mean?? Does it mean that the REAL carb content of the sweets is only a fifth of the entire carbohydrate content?

your input would be appreciated as allways

thank you!

Dear Naked Nun
I am not sure what ingredients are used in the so-called sugar-free sweets sold by Sweets from Heaven - this could be sugar alcohols which do cause diarrhoea if eaten in excess and also still have an energy content of 10 kJ/gram (as compared to 16 kJ/gram for standard sugars like sucrose, glucose and fructose), or they may be using fructose to sweeten the products. Fructose should also not be eaten in excess as it can cause weight gain, dental decay, etc. So unless these sweets are being produced with artificial sweeteners which contribute practically no energy to the product, they will still have the potential to make you gain weight. I also don't understand what they mean by carb content of X grams/100g (let's say 20g) and readily absorbable carbs 2/X gram (thus 2/20 = 1/10 of the carbs would be readily absorbable). If possible post a new message for me listing all the details on the label of these sweets, esp the energy content and including the list of ingredients as this will reveal what they are using to produce the sweets.