Question
Posted by: paul | 2005/11/18

Sugar and the brain

Is there any evidence that certain food stuffs containing sugar speeds up the brain? I am 34 years of age and eat alot of sweet things during the day. I also drink about 20 cups of coffee, without milk or sugar, and I managed to cut down my smoking to roughly 45 cigarettes a day.

Dear Paul
You do realise that these habits are all highly detrimental to health. Excessive intake of sugar, excessive intake of caffeine and smoking are all most harmful. The human brain is the one organ in the body that is most sensitive to the level of glucose (a sugar) in the blood, so high intakes of sugar or carbohydrates would supply the brain with the glucose it needs to function properly. I do, however, think that your excessive caffeine intake from the 20 cups of coffee per day, is also stimulating your brain and could lead to insomnia, irritability, jitters and tremor. Please try to change your habits by eating a balanced diet, cutting your coffee intake down to about 4 cups a day and stopping smoking.
Take great care