Posted by: Emma | 2008/09/03

Hi Doc,

All my life I have had a " sweet tooth"  ie I like to eat anything that is sweet. I am reading up on menopause, as I am at that time of my life. Among other things it says I should cut out sugar. I always thought that the body needs sugar for energy. If I stop all sugar intake what will happen? As it is I sometimes get low blood suger between meals.

Thank you.

Dear Emma
Although sugar has always been branded as the villain of all foods and blamed for many diseases and obesity, there is no harm in using small amounts to make other foods taste better (for example using a teaspoon of sugar or honey on your porridge in the morning or 1 tablespoon of jam on your bread), but it is not a good idea to eat masses of sugar, sweets and cakes, etc. Rather obtain your energy from rye or seedbread, All Bran, low-fat muesli, unsifted maize meal, Maltabella, pasta made with Durum wheat, and other starches that have a low-GI (see my answer to your previous question). If you find that our low blood sugar is becoming a problem and that working out a low-GI diet is too difficult, then please consult a clinical dietitian (visit the Association for Dietetics in SA Website at: and click on "Find a Dietitian" to find a dietitian in your area), who will provide you with a low-GI diet for your hypoglycaemia.