Question
Posted by: lira | 2007/04/20

Sugar

I seem to crave for sugar, I will just take a table spoon and scoop sugar and eat it like that, I am really worried. Is it okay and what causes this?

Dear Lira
Sugar and other carbohydrates increase the serotonin levels in the brain which make people feel less depressed - it gives them a sort of a 'lift'. Therefore many individuals who suffer from sugar or carb cravings are eating too little carbohydrate. It is necessary to eat low-GI (low glycaemic index) carbohydrates to satisfy your requirements for fuel and to also keep your serotonin levels in the brain at a normal level. If you tend to cut out carbs in your diet then I would recommend that you eat more carbs that are low-GI and unprocessed or unsifted. Click on 'Diet' and 'Weight loss' and 'The right approach' and read the articles on the GI.